DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Job Summary: The Director of Operations administers all non-artistic programs and activities of Marin Girls Chorus. This position manages core administration, communications, program management, financial and fundraising duties for the chorus, as guided by the Board of Directors.
Administration / Financial Management
● Manage the business of the chorus under the direction of MGC Board of Directors. Provide full support to MGC Board of Directors. Books meeting rooms for staff, board and parent meetings.
● Work closely with the treasurer and bookkeeper to assure the timely development of the chorus budget and event budgets, timely compliance with all legal requirements, transparency of all financial information, timely internal and external reporting. Assist the bookkeeper or perform routine bookkeeping functions and manage outside accounting and auditing functions.
● Lead the development and implementation of efficient systems and routines for these functions, including the computerization of these processes.
Management of Employees and Volunteers
● Work with the Board and advisors to the Board to create job descriptions and evaluation processes for all paid and unpaid positions in the organization.
● Manage chorus volunteers and assist in the hiring of any future employees.
● Actively contribute to the recruiting and orientation of Board members and other volunteers.
Delivery of Programs and Services
● Work closely with the Artistic Director and Board to: refine and develop chorus programs and activities, develop systems to measure the performance of all programs, provide regular supervision of programs to assure their effectiveness and quality, provide periodic reporting on the outcome of activities as needed by the Board.
● Maintain database of interested singers, and informs them of upcoming enrollments.
● Maintain registration and attendance databases.
● “Keeper of the Calendar”
● Administer scholarship requests and send to Board for approval; notify scholarship recipients of amounts granted and credits their account, keeping applicant information confidential. Track scholarship grants received and provide required follow-up information to granting agencies.
● Handle insurance certificates of liability as requested for chorus venues.
● Track donor information; produce thank-you letters for donors and provide mailing materials to Artistic Director for signature.
● Maintain all confidential employee records; provide employment forms to new hires.
● Update website as needed.
● Work with Artistic Director on all necessary details and tasks to keep MGC functioning as smoothly as possible.
● Produce program materials.
● Obtain approval for class flyers with each school district or site.
● Print lyric sheets and theory books for teachers as needed.
● Order program materials as needed, or requested by staff or board.
● Order office supplies as needed.
● Create registration forms for classes and trips/tours, concert ticket order forms and other forms as needed.
● Produce and coordinate assembly and mailing of annual fund drive materials.
● Work with volunteers to accomplish tasks that can be delegated.
● Work with the board and others to administer and grow existing fundraising programs (e.g., Love Song Sing Along) and help develop additional funding sources (e.g., writing and submitting foundation grants).
● Maintain a computerized database of donors and related information.
● Support all fundraising initiatives as needed.
● Communicate effectively with all constituents in writing (e-mail and brief written reports), verbally (by telephone and in person), and as a group during meetings, events and conference calls.
● Assist in the planning, delivery and recording of board meetings; participate in committee meetings as requested.
● Assist in the development and distribution of other written and visual materials (e.g., school flyers, event literature, videos, press releases, etc.).
● Handle and respond to requests and inquiries, both internal and external, in a timely manner. Present the right voice of the chorus at all times to various constituencies.
● Refer inquiries and requests to Board and staff members as is appropriate.
● Provide ongoing communications via newsletters and email blasts to chorus parents, or seasonally to community interest lists through chorus year.
● Assist in sending group emails to parents as needed, by request from class instructors.
Travel / On-site duties:
● Pick up mail from P.O. Box at Novato post office.
● Deliver or pick up needed materials as requested from Artistic Director.
● Attend parent, staff or board meetings as needed, take notes and distribute to those involved.
● Attend all classes during the first 2-3 weeks of fall session and first week of each Junior session, to handle enrollments and tuition payments.
● Participate on-site at MGC events to assist with operations and ensure all funds are secured.
● Manage volunteers to make sure on-site events are run smoothly.
● Store all chorus property and materials.
● Experience managing events and volunteers.
About Marin Girls Chorus:
For 30 years, Marin Girls Chorus has offered girls and young women the opportunity to discover the joyful experience of choral singing and the transformative power of music. Our singers learn vocal techniques and music theory in five class levels, from kindergarten through high school, held weekly at locations across Marin County. Singers come together throughout the year to perform for community events, retirement homes, holiday celebrations, national choral festivals, and other special opportunities.
LOWER DIVISION CHORAL INSTRUCTOR
The Marin Girls Chorus, located just north of San Francisco, seeks an exceptional and dynamic lower elementary teaching artist. The ideal candidate should have a degree in Music, significant teaching experience, and above all, a love for teaching young children the importance of musical literacy and vocal technique. Piano skills and a vocal/choral background are a plus, as are certifications in Orff and/or Kodaly. To learn more about the Marin Girls Chorus, please visit www.marinchorus.org. This position begins September 2018.
Position duties and description:
- Plan and conduct weekly rehearsals, Tuesday 3:30-6:15pm, at First Presbyterian Church, San Anselmo (approx. 3 hours per week) during Spring and Fall semesters. Chorus classes are concurrent with the school year, approx. Sept to mid-December and January to May.
- Coordinate programming and work collaboratively with current Lower Division instructor who teaches Mondays and Thursdays.
- Incorporate music theory curriculum into weekly rehearsals
- Select appropriate repertoire, as approved by the Artistic Director
- Work with the Artistic Director to build and grow the current scope of the Lower Division
- Conduct all Lower Division performances and outreach concerts: two full chorus concerts in December and May; and additional performances opportunities as scheduled, in addition to weekly teaching time.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, confident delivery of information, knowledgeable explanations, patient & positive attitude
- Fully prepare for rehearsals and performances in advance
- Provide timely student evaluations, once per semester
- Attend monthly faculty meetings
- Attend and assist with vocal placement hearings in January and August
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Music Performance or Music Education
- Teaching experience at the lower elementary level
- Sight-reading, solfege, vocal technique, and conducting skills
- Collaborative spirit and positive attitude
- A love for teaching young children the importance of musical literacy and vocal technique
- Required to work occasional weekends/evenings during concert season and attend Chorus events
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience within the salary guidelines of Marin Girls Chorus. This is an hourly, part-time position.
Qualified candidates should send a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Marin Girls Chorus, Post Office Box 905, Novato, CA 94948BOARD
We are currently seeking new board members.
If interested, please fill out the form below and we will get right back to you.